Wednesday, September 5, 2012

early september comfort food

 I am fortunate to be married to a serious foodie - and quite content to spend my weekends focused on other things while my sweetheart plans and prepares our meals. He even returns to work each week with our fridge stocked full of yummy leftovers. When we run out of leftovers, the girls and I muddle through the rest of our week with quesadillas, Annie's mac and cheese and take out until Eli comes back to cook for us again.
But over Labor Day weekend, Ella was idly flipping through Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" and lingered over a recipe for chicken pot pie. When I was a kid, we ate Swanson's frozen chicken pot pies sometimes, and suddenly I felt motivated to have chicken pot pie again after a decade or two, but this time from scratch. How hard could it be, right?
I began my day with a trip to Whole Foods, and brought home all the ingredients I would need, including a 5 pound roaster chicken. As I went about my sewing and card making, the chicken boiled away in the kitchen. It smelled so good! Before I went to meet the girls at their departure from school, I made the tart dough and prepped the filling: chicken, pearl onions, carrots, potatoes, sage - all cooked in a sauce of rich broth and cream.
When the girls arrived home, Clarissa was very interested in helping me roll the dough, spread it over the filling, crimp the edges, and brush the top with egg. Despite all of her contributions, she didn't dare try even one bite since, "pies are supposed to be filled with fruit." 
But Ella and I enjoyed our dinner very much. And Clarissa enjoyed her quesadilla with plain chicken. The recipe included so many steps, though, that I had several loads of dishes to get through after dinner. It was pretty tedious, but well worth it to have some yummy comfort food. The weather here has been soaring over 100˚F every day, and preparing something fallish and savory makes me feel like autumn is coming, even though it's not really. Also, I saw pumpkins at Whole Foods yesterday. Yay! And -  we have leftovers for tonight. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...